Class - Quilter's Palette - Oct 02, 2017 10:00 am
The Quilter’s Palette quilt is a one-of-a-kind sampler quilt -- a sampler of techniques.
Making this quilt will teach you techniques that will challenge quilters of all levels. We will make blocks that use y-seam construction, appliqué, and paper piecing. All along the way, you will learn tricks of the professional quilter to make this, and future quilts, easier to make.
With this sampler, you will learn:
- 3 different types of machine appliqué
- 5 different ways to paper-piece a block
- How to draft a block
- How to make perfectly butted seams
- Y-seam construction
- How to work with templates
- Expert fabric selection
- And Annie's tips and tricks for quilting
There is a major plus to this class: while you're creating your sampler, you will have access to Annie's Online class lessons to use as refreshers. If you happen to miss a class, you'll have access to the lesson materials and video instruction, so you really won't miss a thing!
Quilter’s Palette Sampler Quilt with Annie Smith
Supply List: (Yes, you will need all of your fabric for the first class. You cannot add
fabrics as you go.)
• First, choose a focus fabric. This may or may not be your background
fabric or one that you will use the most. It should be a fabric that has
some good colors in it that you like and that you will be able to pick
coordinating fabrics for. So the amount that you will need to get is up to
you – as to how much you like it and how much you think you will use it.
• 3 yards of background fabric. This is the fabric that you will use the most
• You will use 17 half-yard pieces of fabric for this quilt, which gives it a
more controlled look. This quilt is not meant to be scrappy-looking.
This approach was adopted for a specific class where the challenge was to
use only those fabrics for the whole quilt – adding no more.
All of your fabrics should be pre-washed prior to class.
Bring to class, each class:
• Your sewing machine and sewing kit, power cord & foot pedal
• Scissors for paper and for fabric (should be two different pairs)
• Rotary cutter, ruler and mat
• Template plastic
• Neutral thread for piecing
• When we get into machine appliqué, you will need to match your thread
color to your appliqué piece – we’ll go into more detail about this in
• An open toe appliqué foot. We will look at what you have the first night of
class so if you don’t have one, you will have time to get one for your
sewing machine. This is a must for machine appliqué.
• Seam ripper
• 1 yard/package of lightweight fusible web (SoftFuse) – Wait to get this
until I tell you that you will need it.
• 1 1-gallon ziplock bag (this goes with the fusible)
• Permanent pen (Sharpie or Micron Pigma pen)
• 1 spool of invisible nylon thread – clear, not smoky
• 1 spool of thread that matches your primary background fabric
• 1 can of Faultless or Niagara Regular Spray Starch
I will provide a sheet of heat-resistant template plastic for one of the
methods for machine appliqué.
We will choose the sashing fabric for your quilt when your blocks are
completed. There is no border to this quilt.
If you need help choosing your fabrics, please let me know if you would like
my help, as soon as you register for class. Cost: